As a contractor, we realize that we play an important role in helping to prevent lead exposure. That is why Landmark Roofing has been certified as a Lead-Safe Contractor in the State of Massachusetts.
The EPA’s 2008 Lead-Based Paint Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Rule aims to protect the public from lead-based paint hazards associated with renovation, repair and painting activities. These activities can create hazardous lead dust when surfaces with lead paint, even from many decades ago, are disturbed. The rule requires workers to be certified and trained in the use of lead-safe work practices, and requires renovation, repair, and painting firms to be EPA-certified.
There are strict standards for renovation, repair and painting carried out in older homes and child-occupied facilities that may contain lead paint as well as for deleading operations. Contractors and other entities are required to be licensed by the Department of Labor Standards (DLS); their employees must be trained in the use of lead-safe work practices, and those lead-safe work practices must be followed to minimize occupants’ exposure to lead hazards.
Lead in Paint, Dust and Soil
The greatest exposure to lead from lead paint occurs as a result of swallowing or breathing in lead-based paint chips, dust and soil. Many houses and apartments built before 1978 contain lead-based paint. Lead from paint, chips, and dust can pose serious health hazards if not taken care of properly. If you own property built before 1978, learn 5 reasons why you need to hire a Lead-Safe Renovation Contractor
What Is the Lead-Based Paint Renovation, Repair and Painting Program (RRP)?
• The Lead-Based Paint Renovation, Repair and Painting Program is a federal regulatory program affectingcontractors, property managers, and others who disturb painted surfaces.
• It applies to residential houses, apartments, and child-occupied facilities such as schools and day-care centers built before 1978.
• It includes pre-renovation education requirements as well as training, certification, and work practice requirements.
– Pre-renovation education requirements:
• Contractors, property managers, and others who perform renovations for compensation in residential houses, apartments, and child-occupied facilities built before 1978 are required
to distribute a lead pamphlet before starting renovation work.
– Training, certification, and work practice requirements:
• Firms are required to be certified, their employees must be trained (either as a certified renovator or on-the-job by a certified renovator) in use of lead-safe work practices, and lead-safe work practices hat
minimize occupants’ exposure to lead hazards must be followed.
• Renovation is broadly defined as any activity that disturbs painted surfaces and includes most repair, remodeling, and maintenance activities, including window replacement.
• The program includes requirements implementing both Section 402(c) and 406(b) of the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). (www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/titleten.html)
• EPA’s lead renovation regulations can be found at 40 CFR Part 745, Subpart E.
Training, Certification, and Work Practice Requirements.
• All renovators must be trained.
• Lead-safe work practices must be followed. Examples of these practices include:
– Work-area containment to prevent dust and debris from leaving the work area.
– Prohibition of certain work practices like open-flame burning and the use of power tools without HEPA
– Thorough clean up followed by a verification procedure to minimize exposure to lead-based
Landmark Roofing is a fully licensed home remodeling company and is Lead Safe Certified with the EPA. We’re proud of our many satisfied clients throughout the area, who often recommend us to others. If you’d like to find out more about our services or would like to request a free estimate, please call (617) 965-ROOF (7663) or complete a short contact form, and one of our staff will get in touch with you shortly.
Tags: Construction, construction contractor, home renovation, home renovations, lead safe, Massachusetts, roof repair, roofing, Roofing Contractor, Roofing Contractor Location: Newton